Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Absence of A Common Touch


Stacee Adams at The Magna Art Festival
Sitting Next to a Handsome Guy Who is Not Me
This past weekend, along with Stacee Adams, I staffed the McAdams booth at the Magna Art Festival. Unsurprisingly, Mark Crockett had no similar presence. Long ago I've come to believe he would be a no-show at his own family reunion. 

However, there was a fellow on Main Street wearing a blue "Mark Crockett For Mayor" tee shirt. Repeatedly he marched up and down the promenade as if his mission was a solitary show of support. 

Eventurally, on perhaps his tenth transit, he found Stacee and I unoccupied by the presence of Ben, Peter Caroon, Sue Duckworth or a stream of visitors. So he walked over to pay a visit. 

His demeanor was friendly, and I guessed that his pause might be motivated as much by a need for company, as it was a need for rest. 

Stacee and I both smiled, but we let him begin the conversation. "You know," he said, "I wouldn't be all that disappointed if Ben McAdams won this election."

It was an odd way for this blue sentinel of support to say, "Hello." 

It left Stacee and I searching for a way to reciprocate. For us, a McAdams loss to Crockett would be like the loss of eyesight. Eventually, one of us congratulated the Crockett campaign for the use of a pleasing shade of blue, and we left it at that. 

Once he had left, Stacee and I looked at each other mystified. I remarked, "If he's a Crockett groupee, they're in trouble." 

.......

There's a new Mark Crockett page on Facebook. This one is called the, "Mark Crockett for Mayor Open Group."

Mark Crockett, the kind of guy whose dog might divorce him, now has three Facebook pages. (Not in his worst nightmare did he ever think this might happen.)

I gave it a reading, and given its level of participation that took three minutes. 

Let me share some typical postings… 

Zach Wellman: Can you verify Mark Crockett reads this page and responds to voters? So far he has been MIA from his own Facebook profile.
Tifanie Webber Pulley:...I agree we should do much better in getting answers to questions that are posed on here... 
Drew Chamberlain UTgopSec: The number on the website goes to Randy (O'Hara, the campaign manager) and he does not return calls yet (10 days). Mark has no direct number. Does anyone know how to contact Mark Crockett? I really want to help his campaign. He needs to win

I wonder, does this occur to them: if all they want is to offer help, and he's this hard to get in touch with, how will they get his attention if he's mayor?  

No comments:

Post a Comment