Wednesday, August 15, 2012

About Farm Pigs And Presidents


I spent part of the weekend sharing the McAdam's booth at the county fair. Being at the county fair was hugely enjoyable, and I'm a bit nonplussed as to why it took the McAdams campaign to motivate my attendance.

My life in Utah is a story in two parts. I lived here when I was in high school and college, and then 142 years later I returned (OK, slight exaggeration.) So I'm occasionally caught short by an assumption that was justifiable in the 70's, but not now.

When I first learned the fair was on 114th South and 2100 West I thought of farm land.

Yet, on my way there I didn't pass a single farm, only residential developments and commercial districts. I did see one feed store, but it was in the process of a liquidation sale. At the fair's display of farm animals I wondered, "Could that pig really be a citizen of Salt Lake County?"

The growth and change here are rapid and astounding. The last agrarian sections of the valley are quickly giving way to suburbs and exurbs. I was reminded of what a challenge it is to plan for that kind of change. It's like standing in front of a fire house and managing that stream of water.

Yet there has never been a more critical time to get it right. The decisions made now will be the criteria affecting lives far into the future. Thinking of the long term and establishing precedents that will advantage that future are hugely important.  

And all of this depends mightily on leadership.

The night the fair concluded, I rode a very long distance home reflecting on that weekend. And I had a moment of clarity. Wearing this loud orange McAdams t-shirt, passing out flyers and talking to voters; these are exactly the things I should be doing.

---------

The day before yesterday I enjoyed a great favor. I was allowed to be a driver in the Bill Clinton motorcade. He was here with George W. Bush on a bipartisan tour. The underlying theme: If we can act like grownups, why can't Republicans and Democrats everywhere do just the same?

It was front page news when Clinton recognized Ben locally for what these former presidents are doing nationally.

The event was exciting, and I got to play a modest role that put me in the middle of it.

When I first found out how I'd be spending Monday, I set about sharing the news with everyone important in my life. First on the list was my sister, Donna, which was a big mistake. She's able to call my parents at a lightening speed that I can't duplicate.

Here's the first question my Mother asked Donna, "Will Georgie actually be driving President Clinton in his car?"

My sister's response, "Well I don't know, but maybe."

My dear mother replied with a line only a mother could utter, "Please tell your brother to wash and vacuum out his car before he picks up the president."

You've got to love her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment