Monday, September 3, 2012

Pretty in Pink

Lesson one about being on a campaign, or at least a field staffer on a campaign: there are no holidays (at least not for you, and not for the candidate.)

Today I was assigned to the AFLCIO Labor Day picnic in Magna. If I had been Ben, this would have been one of several places to be, but my role was confined to that one event. 

When I first sighted the booth I was filled with excitement. There was a line leading to it at least a hundred feet long filled with families eager for the front. "Wow!" I thought, Ben's popularity in Magna is huge! 

Then, when I got to the booth itself, I found two large spinning tubs filled with pink gosamer thread, orange shirted volunteers spinning as fast as the tubs, and a huge sign reading "FREE COTTON CANDY."

When the volunteers caught sight of me their unanimous expression was "Help!"

Never in my life had I made cotton candy. This moment had the feel of joining a circus fifteen minutes into a show and being told, "You're the clown."

Under the best of circumstances the creation of cotton candy is not a neat affair. When you have no idea what you're doing, soon you resemble a giant sized version of the very thing you're handing out. By the time my shift was over the incredible hulk could have picked me up, placed me against a wall, and I would have stuck there. 

Never the less, everyone should do it at least once. Only Santa Claus gets to make this many kids happy in such a short period of time. And there's the additional advantage of watching a candidate, wrapped up like a fly in a web of pink sugar, trying to convince people they should vote for him. 







No comments:

Post a Comment