Sunday, July 8, 2012

Why?

THE McADAMS FAMILY
(left to right - Robert, Kate, Ben, James Julie and Isaac)

Recently Ben asked for my opinion on a mundane political matter. I offered it, but the question inspired some additional thought. 

I began to speculate why Ben seems to be the beneficiary of a movement larger than his present candidacy for political office. What is it that draws support even from those not inclined to call themselves Democrats? 

I'm not a political guru, and I'm definitely not a sociologist. Yet I came up with a theory that works for me. I made that theory a small part of something sent to Ben on another matter. However, I want to share that "small part" with you here. 

...In my opinion you enjoy an influence outsized relative to the length of your career in public office. 
And why?
It comes from the perception that your political point of view is authentic, and that it grows from your religious conviction. Mormons are open to your influence because they see in your person, and in your family, a laudable example of LDS life well lived. Gentiles give you their support, in large part, because you reassure them that a progressive world view can be, and perhaps should be, the fruit of an ideal Mormon life...

You may or may not agree with what I've written, but I think these points are worth consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment