Tuesday, July 3, 2012

This Campaign is Over


Okay, I’ll admit it. I’m worried about Ben’s chances.

If you’d asked me a week or two ago, I’d have been more positive. Back then it seemed doable. But not now.

Everyone in the campaign still wants to believe otherwise, but it’s time to step back, face facts and admit the truth. He’s toast.

Originally we had him scheduled for just two or three parades during the week of July 4th. Back then we were talking about maybe fifteen miles over a few days. Yes, it would be hot, but it’s mostly level ground, he’s still young... “he’ll manage,” we said.

Then on top of Taylorsville Dayzz and Magna, South Salt Lake got added, and then Sandy. That jacked up total distance to 75 miles, and the forecast was for heat hovering around triple digits.

The first real surprise was that a portion of the South Salt Lake Parade moves along Highway 80 between City Hall and 7th East. Not a problem for floats, but a challenge for marchers. Ben’s only question: “How long for shaking hands?”

“Not long,” Justin replied.

Then Riverton got added.

The next surprise shouldn’t have been a surprise at all. What do you expect when Magna’s celebration is called “The Iron Man Independence Festival.” Still, when we got the details Ben’s participation seemed daunting. It starts with a race from the bottom of the open pit mine, and it concludes with a swim to Antelope Island.

This is where Julie opted out of bringing Isaac along in a stroller.

Shortly thereafter Murray got added, and then East Mill Creek.

Already I had my doubts, and I think they were credible reservations. But how could I know that Alta was a township or that it had an annual “Mountain Parade” that starts at Cecret Lake and ends at the summit of Storm Mountain.

Here I drew the line. I just can’t see Ben surviving to hand out fans dangling from a carabiner.

It’s time to throw in the towel. This campaign is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment