Sunday, June 10, 2012

Surrogate Glory



As a consequence of his work on equal rights, Ben was honored during this year's Gay Pride Festival. He was given upfront placement in the parade and wore a sash for his effectiveness in "political action."

Before the parade got underway I took photographs while drifting among the various participants. I was wearing one of the campaign's bright orange tee shirts. Usually that is enough to identify me with the campaign. But not on this day. Two other large organizations had chosen to wear tee shirts of exactly the same color. Only printing across the back distinguished one from the other.

It was a field day for a photographer interested in the eccentric and the flamboyant. In one staging area I met a roller derby team. Instantly they hammed it up for the camera. Of course, my ubiquitous orange tee shirt was all they knew about me.

Once the photos were snapped and I had wished them, "Happy Pride!" I turned to leave. It was then, for the first time, they saw "Ben McAdams" written in large letters across my back.

Immediately a loud cheer went up, "Yea Ben!, Go Ben!"

If for just a moment, I was happy to be a surrogate for some of that glory.      


No comments:

Post a Comment