Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Big Deal Ben

The conversation dominating our campaign continues to be about Crockett's press conference at the county jail. The episode was simply bizarre.

How could a candidate at the end of a tight race advocate for prerecorded happy talk as a way to free up jail beds? 

Even if it were a good plan, which it is not, the idea is so easily parodied. Now the tweet-o-sphere is alive with #TextsFromCrockett. My own contribution: "As a consultant, I advise you not to do it! Please remit $25,000 and 4% of what you didn't steal."

Sadly for Crockett, my contribution is lost in an ocean of similar tweets. #TextsFromCrockett is currently trending #1 in Salt Lake County. 

......

Last Friday Ben and his nemesis had one more in their long string of public debates. It was held at the Salt Lake library and the auditorium was filled with orange t-shirts. 

This was one of Ben's best performances. The highlight was an impromptu cross examination of Crockett about his vague and ever changing SkiLink positions. 

The usually glib Mr. Crockett melted down in a pool of adversatives and half finished sentences. Even the scrupulously neutral Ken Verdoia, the moderator of the debate, tossed off a concluding complement to Ben's cross examination.  

I sat with Kathy Kirby, an attractive woman of about my own age. At the end of the debate Crockett decided to do something gracious. He walked into the audience, then approached the two of us and said, "So you must be the proud parents of Ben McAdams."

In this campaign I'm attached to a group with a median age half my own. So Crockett's faux pas has become the source of kidding. If I'm called "Pops" or "Dad" one more time I'll strangle someone.

Soon after the debate Ben approached me with his own version of the jibe. After watching me wince Ben grew serious for a moment, "How could Crockett make an error like that? I know the names of his entire entourage." 

As Ben turned and disappeared into a swarm of orange I had a cynical thought, "Big deal Ben. That gives you what... maybe three names to remember?"

.....

Before I left for the evening I spoke with Ben's mother Susan. Eventually our conversation turned to Ben's famous likability quotient. 

I commented that while many might oppose Ben's positions, I'd yet to hear anyone say something critical of him personally.

Susan appreciated the observation, and I think she found it credible. However, I'm sure she discounted some of my assurance based on the crowd with which I associate. So I asked her, "Have you heard anyone say something critical of Ben?"

I fully expected an answer of no. After all, what cretan would speak critically of someone in the presence of his own mother?

Surprisingly, Susan offered a series of digs culled from the trash-talk at the bottom of on-line news articles. The comments were ugly, and some of it extended to Ben's own family. 

I felt for her. As extremely proud as she is of Ben, being the mother of someone in the public eye isn't always easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment